Bristlecone Range Etiquette
For those who are new to Bristlecone Shooting, Training, and Retail Center the following are our range etiquette and recommendations to create a safe, enjoyable environment and recreational shooting experience for all our members.
What to Wear
Shirts – Long sleeve shirts are recommended over short sleeves to protect your arms and body while shooting.
Pants – Longer pants are preferred over shorts for added protection. We also recommend wearing comfortable or looser fitting pieces to make it easier as you shift or move while shooting on the range.
Eyewear – Clear safety glasses are mandatory when shooting at Bristlecone. We can help you pick out the right kind if you have questions.
Ear protection – Ear protection is also mandatory to protect your hearing. Ear plugs or ear muff styles are examples. Again, we can help you with picking out the right kind if you have specific questions.
Shoes – Wearing close-toed shoes such boots or sneakers are recommended for your safety and comfort.
Hair – If you have longer hair consider pulling it back, wearing it in a ponytail, or putting on a baseball cap to be more comfortable while you are shooting.
Some people keep sets of “range clothes” in their closets for recreational shooting. This can work for both protection and to make it easier to wash off debris. If you have specific questions on what to wear (or not to wear), Bristlecone can provide you with additional information.
Etiquette Do’s and Don’ts
- Learn all the range commands at Bristlecone before you start. If you have questions, please ask our Range Safety Officers.
- Always listen to and follow the commands of the Range Safety Officer.
- Keep your firearms unloaded until you are ready to use them safely on the range.
- Treat all firearms as if they are loaded. Always face forward with your firearms pointed downrange, toward the designated targets.
- When on the range, keep your gun pointed in a safe direction, and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to point and shoot at designated targets.
- Only shoot at approved, designated targets on the range.
- For novice shooters, we recommended going slowly and mindfully to be safe and comfortable.
- If a ceasefire is called, you must stop shooting. You will need to unload your firearms during this time. You cannot reload and resume until it is OK and clear, and the commence firing command is given by the Range Safety officials.
- When you load and unload your firearms, make sure your muzzle is pointed downrange, and not left or right of you.
- Unload your firearms after finishing on the range, and please leave areas as clean as you found them.
Bristlecone Shooting, Training, and Retail Center in Lakewood, Colo., is the premier indoor shooting range in the Denver area. We are happy to provide our members with orientations and offer gun safety and firearms training classes. Bristlecone caters to recreational shooters of all levels, from first-timers to long-time enthusiasts. To learn more, visit https://bristleconeshooting.com/ or call 303-985-0989.