If you are in the market to buy a gun safe to protect your firearms and other personal investments, there are several factors to consider.
- Size – Determine the correct size that you will need, both for your current needs and future use. Keep in mind that firearms accessories such as scopes can take up extra space once you put your items in the safe. Also, keep in mind that a gun safe can be used to store additional valuables such as jewelry and important documents.
- Construction – Most gun safes are made of steel, so you’ll want to know the gauge and thickness of steel to help you protect your investments. You’ll also want to make sure that the frame and door to the safe are solidly constructed.
- Fireproofing or fire resistance – Ask the seller for the safe’s fire rating to know what it can withstand in case of a fire in your home. Again, you’ll want a safe that’s well constructed and tested to protect your firearms.
- Solid locks – How well does the locking mechanism work and how well is it constructed? Does it use an electronic lock or a spin lock? Be sure to test out the lock yourself and make sure you can use it. Just like the construction of the frame and door, you’ll want a lock that’s built well and is theft-proof.
- Warranties – Ask for the warranty and what’s covered by the manufacturers in case you aren’t satisfied with your gun safe’s performance. Does it cover all parts? Will the manufacturer replace the lock or other parts if they malfunction?
Bristlecone Shooting, Training, and Retail Center in Lakewood, Colo., is the premier indoor shooting range in the Denver area. Bristlecone offers classes in firearms training as well as gun rentals and onsite gunsmith services. To learn more visit https://bristleconeshooting.com/ or call 303-985-0989.